Open Question: AT&T with holding my money?

I have been having an on going battle with AT&T since November. For a long time I just had their internet, and in order to have it I had a land line, which I never used. In November I got their U-Verse Cable, and an internet that didn't require a land line phone. I told them to end my land line service, and I was even understanding when I found out that they had not...thought that since I just started out maybe someone had gotten confused. I called them, and they assured me that they would take care of it. Now I'm not so understanding, seeing as I've had to tell them 3 or 4 times to stop charging me for this land line. I'm kicking myself now, because I didn't look at my bills closely enough, I was young and foolish, and so I continued to pay for it. Back in March I talked to someone at the company, and he told me that I would be getting a check, sometime in April, well it's almost May and I haven't gotten it. So I called them a couple days ago about it, and they told me that they would take the issue to a special department that is there to deal with this problem. Today they finally got around to calling me back, and told me that they "took care of the billing problem", whatever it was they didn't tell me, and that I should be getting my check after the next cycling problem, May 26th. Well that's another huge problem for me, because like most of the people in this country I'm really hurting for cash right now, and because of that I'm moving to another state May 22nd. I was planning on having the remainder of the AT&T bills for my roommate, and not have anything sent to me in my new location. Now it would seem that in order to get my money, if they actually send it, I would have to me in my new location after all. So, if anyone is informed on Law or Business, or anything else that would help me, can you tell me what I should do here? How can I get my money sooner? Are there any other actions I should take against AT&T?