[ Other - Hardware ] Open Question : Data transfer via external hard drive enclosure?

My 8 yr old (!) Dell Dimension 4500 desktop recently died and I want to transfer some data from two 40gb HDDs to my new PC which has a 1tb HDD. Is it simply a matter of popping the old in the enclosure, connecting via USB, viewing everything on the screen, and selecting what files I would like to transfer and leaving behind what I don`t care about? All I want to transfer is video, music, photos, and maybe bookmarks and a couple of programs. It's mainly the media that I'm worried about though. Do I need to install a program on my new PC to make this happen? Is there anything different about these old drives that I need to be aware of (older hdd technology that my enclosure needs to support)? The old PC also ran XP and the new one is windows 7 (64-bit) if that makes a difference. If anyone can point me to a tutorial it would be greatly appreciated. Debating whether I want to have a professional do it for an hr @ $90...