Another week, another treatment for Files, ovarian cancer survivor

Benton, Ill. — Editor’s note: This is the first part of a story about Liz Files, a Benton resident who is a survivor of ovarion cancer. The second part will focus on weekly treatments Files undergoes.

Every week is another one of survival for Benton resident Liz Files, who is quick to point out that ovarian cancer is a silent disease.

Files’ week begins with a blood draw in the Franklin Hospital on Monday before she heads to Missouri Baptist Medical Center in Chesterfield, Mo., for her weekly treatment on Wednesday.

Files is also quick to mention that September is ovarian cancer awareness month. With a teal ribbon fluttering in the breeze outside her residence, she works with other survivors, asks questions and follows up on their treatments.

Even her weekly visit to the medical center affords an opportunity to share information with other cancer survivors as they continue to make and renew friendships.

Files said she realized something was wrong five years ago.

“I started gaining weight and was buying larger clothes practically every week,” she said. “I was also extremely tired all of the time.”

Files said a visit to an area physician was met with more doctor appointments, surgeries and chemotherapy treatments.

“I had a tumor the size of a loaf and a half of bread,” she said. “I also experienced shortness of breath.”

With the weekly cancer treatments comes something else that Files did not expect.

“I really try and watch what I eat, but the cancer treatments change the way food tastes,” she said. “I find that I eat a lot while searching for that familiar taste.
“I try not to eat hot dogs or bologna, but I have not cut out meat all together,” she said.

With access to a multitude of information via the Internet, the cancer survivor said the World Wide Web offers too much and too many conflicting articles and opinions.

“When I was first diagnosed, I started reading anything I could get my hands on,” Files said. “After a while, I started reading less and less because, quite frankly, some of the material I was reading scared me half to death.”

Survival rates are a particular scare — particularly with this form of cancer.

“The treatment room is filled with chairs for patients, a lot of magazines and a wall filled with information about cancer and pamphlets that help family members try to understand the disease,” she said. “Among the literature are brochures that state if ovarian cancer is diagnosed and treated early enough, the five-year survival rate is above 90 percent. I am in my fifth year of treatments, so that is particularly encouraging, but not every woman is this lucky.”

Files said the five-year survival rate pertains to cancer that is confined to the ovary.

“Because ovarian cancer has non-specific symptoms, only 19 percent of all cases are found at the early stage,” she said. “If it is not detected until the cancer is in Stage III or higher, the survival rate can be as low at 29 percent.

“In my case, I am a Stage IVC,” Files said. “C implies the size of the tumor. Every piece of literature I have read says the same thing: The symptoms particularly in the early stages are not often intense. The symptoms whisper, so listen to your body. Know the warning signs and don’t wait weeks or months if you experience pelvic or abdominal pain or discomfort.”

Other symptoms include gastrointestinal upsets such as gas, nausea and indigestion; frequent or urgent urination without having an infection; unexplained weight gain or weight loss; pelvic and/or abdominal swelling, bloating or feeling full; ongoing unusual fatigue and a change in bowel habits, she said.

“A Pap test does not detect ovarian cancer,” Files said.

In her 35th year of service to the Rend Lake Conservancy District, she said her boss is very understanding in terms of her treatment schedule. “I use vacation time for the treatments,” she said. “I usually get to work late on Mondays because the blood work takes at least half an hour. My boss asks me about the treatments and how things are going. Everyone at RLCD is very understanding and even helped to organize a Relay For Life team a couple of years ago.”

The steady drip of the ice cold liquid flows into Files bloodstream through the port in her chest during treatments.

“The treatments make you cold,” she said. “One girl made more than 100 blankets and delivered to the women having chemo treatments. Her grandmother was undergoing treatments at the same time she was making the blankets.

“I have a beautiful blanket that Rend Lake Conservancy District employees made for me,” Files said. “She cut out the fabric and the other employees tied it all together. My mom also made me a ovarian cancer survivor quilt. The quilt is in the colors that signify ovarian cancer and is tied with ribbons. The proceeds from the purchase of the fabric went toward ovarian cancer research. I always take a blanket with me to treatments and they remind me of the people who made them for me.”

During her employment, she has done everything from reading water meters to her current position as central purchasing agent. “I have done everything except treat the water and mow the golf course,” Files said with a laugh.

Files said plans have been put on hold in terms of vacation time away from treatments.

“I had planned to go to Honduras this year but decided I was not up to it,” she said. “I lost my opportunity to snorkel with whale sharks but hope to be able to go maybe next year.”

Copyright 2011 Benton Evening News. Some rights reserved