Open Question: I had a phone interview and I was wondering?

I had a phone interview. The job is great. Anyway what do hiring managers look for in an interview. I answered the questions, but I was nervous. She said it was the first round screening and if they chose my resume then the would call me back. I wasn't prepared I didn't think she would ask me questions on the spot. I even said I wasn't prepared to ask her questions, but I asked some anyway. I know your not suppose to say you not prepared, but I was very nervous. She asked me a few questions about my other jobs. Like I have a degree and she asked if i was looking for employment in that field and i told her i was, but im thinking about going back to school. She said what would i go back for and i said not sure then i said if i was hired with a company i would go back for training for the position i held. HR please help me? Is it bad she didn't ask me to come in for an interview or is that the normal process they go through is phone screening?