Open Question: How can i start building credit?

Hi there everyone! Well i am 23 years old and have established little to no credit. The only thing i have that would count on my credit rating would be my phone account (at&t cell phone bill). but other than that i have no credit cards, no nothing, no score. I bank with Capital one. and i have applied for the smallest limit credit card ($300) that Capital One has to offer, but sadly because of my non existent credit rating i was denied. My husband has just received his social and has no credit. We are looking to buy a nice property / home, but we know we will be denied for any type of home loan since neither can provide a good credit score, and i know it can take a couple of years to establish good credit. Can anybody recommend a way to get started? Thanks i appreciate all your help.