"2 all freaking out about having the GLBT community represented on DWTS -- it's a ballroom dancing show. Best of luck #DWTS cast mate."
Transgender activist Chaz Bono is speaking out for the first time against critics who say he should not be allowed to compete in the upcoming season of ABC reality show "Dancing With the Stars."
Bono, the 42-year-old son of Cher and the late Sonny Bono, underwent a female-to-male gender transition, and legally changed his gender last year.
Since Monday's season 13 cast announcement and Wednesday's pro-pairing revelations, the expected lightning rod of having only the second openly gay man, Carson Kressley, in the show's history, the first being singer Lance Bass, included in this season's lineup has been overshadowed by the casting of Bono.
Check out the full cast of the new season of "Dancing with the Stars."
The online group is calling for a boycott of the show, writing on its website that the casting of Bono "is completely unacceptable and Christians should not watch the show, no excuses!"
While Bono uses his critics' comments as motivation, his team is hitting back against the online groups and comments calling for Bono's ouster from the show.
Bragman said parents should instead use his client's inclusion in the show as a teachable moment.
"Watching Chaz Bono dance is not going to make your kid transgender," Bragman told "GMA." "This has really reinforced his decision to be on the show."
Howard Bragman told ABC’s Good Morning America on Friday that despite the criticism directed toward Bono, he “is really taking it well.”
DWTS executive producer defended the casting of Bono Wednesday in an interview with The Hollywood Reporter. I think of the 120 celebrities we’ve put on the show, we’ve had, I think now, three transgender or gay contestants.