Canon PowerShot SD1100IS 8MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Silver)

I've had this camera about two years. Basically, I was in love with it. I upgraded from a 4 Megapixal 2004 Nikon so of course I was very impressed with this camera - and if even came in my favorite color. At the time, the camera was brand new with a glowing 4.something review and I read each and every review on cnet and bestbuy.com so that I was confident with my purchase. UNTIL, I got the "lens error, restart camera" message. So I tried restarting several times, grieved a little, and then went off to Best Buy to buy a new camera - a little disappointed that this camera has not lasted as long as its predecessor. I picked up a shiny new, hot pink model, and was very impressed with the six extra megapixels. UNTIL, I met a sweet sales associate who pointed me right back in the direction of a Nikon, sharing with me the infamous E18 and lens error messages Canon is known for. So I put the shiny new camera down and came home to do some research.
Canon PowerShot SD1100IS 8MP Digital Camera with 3x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom (Silver)
And I'm here to tell you the lens error message is NO JOKE! Apparently, Canon is known for this and has been known for its lens errors for years - although I was previously unaware at the time. While you can send it in to be fixed, it costs a pretty penny. They offered me a significantly discounted rate when I spoke with them which is a plus on customer service. But before you buy this camera - or ANY Canon for that matter - ask yourself if you really want to be replacing it every two years? And do you want to support a company that has had this problem for years with its products and has done absolutely nothing to improve it and redesign their cameras to eliminate the problem?

I loved everything about the camera when it was functioning - but seriously what use is a camera when its not?

Also, this is a known lens error. By known, I don't mean the few people who have mentioned it here have experienced. I mean hundreds. Google it. At one point, there were even measures beginning to file a class action suit. Whether that ever goes through is beside the point - regardless, there are many consumers who have already bought this product who are dissatisfied. Me, for example. Keep that in mind when wanting to purchase this, or any other Canon camera.