JEFF GORDON - REGAN SMITH - KERRY THARP

"Paul did a great job saving fuel because when I got there, even Regan (Smith) and other guys, they were still pretty much (slowing) up when I got there. It was probably a top-10 car, ninth or 10th place car. Q. You talked a little bit before you came in about the fuel mileage races, absolutely hating them. REGAN SMITH: I think it's pretty simple. I love fuel mileage races right now (laughter).
Q. You won the Southern 500. Running top three at Indianapolis. REGAN SMITH: Hell, yeah, I did. Had a good car. Did the fuel mileage there, ran out way short. REGAN SMITH: Well, from my team's standpoint, I don't think we're looking at the top 20 right now. We're going to focus on winning races. If it puts us in position to get top fives, great. Q. Regan, you mentioned how thrilled you were that if you couldn't win it, that Paul won it. KERRY THARP: Jeff Gordon has joined us at the podium. JEFF GORDON: It was awesome. What a fun race for us. I thought Alan called a great race. That put us in position to win.
We got there just a little bit short. I thought it was pretty cool. I don't think there's anybody that could appreciate a win, even if it is his first win.
JEFF GORDON: Yeah, it says a lot. We've been knocking on the door, getting closer every single weekend, won a couple races. Q. Jeff, do you have any theory as to why out of the four major races, three have been won by first-time guys this year?
JEFF GORDON: Well, Daytona's different. JEFF GORDON: I don't even know who won the 600.
Q. Harvick won the 600.
JEFF GORDON: So three of the four. Q. Jeff, you won the first Brickyard here. I was definitely in shock that we won that race. Q. Jeff, you've won a couple times, basically locked into the Chase. I think there's definitely more tracks that we can win at. JEFF GORDON: Well, this is Indy, you know. JEFF GORDON: There was two big moments I thought that happened for us. If we didn't get in front of him, then he very easily could have won this race. We did everything we could to put ourselves there to win this race.
JEFF GORDON: I'll be honest with you. I ran with him earlier in the race. REGAN SMITH: Yeah, I think so. Q. Jeff, is there any master plan for the fueling system that you can come out with enough fuel to finish big races like this?
Little tiny things. Doesn't mean you're always going to win the race that way.
Q. Regan, after winning Darlington, everybody was saying that the wins may start to pile up for you. While wins haven't come, you've had four top 10s this year. Regan Smith wants to be clear about one thing: He's no fan of fuel-mileage races.
"I don't think they're fun racing. Six of the top eight finishers went on fuel mileage.
Smith has been at his best in NASCAR's biggest races this year. Smith made sure to congratulate his friend in victory lane just after the race.
"I love fuel-mileage races."