WITH the whereabouts of Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed al-Megrahi in Libya still unknown, Scottish Labour leader Iain Gray has accused the SNP of ignoring a key piece of legislation which could put the man convicted of the Lockerbie bombing back in a Scottish jail as the Libyan regime collapsed.
In 2007, Johann Lamont, then deputy minister for justice, introduced an amendment that makes it easier for Scottish ministers to return a prisoner released on compassionate grounds to custody if they believe the grounds for release are no longer justified.
It is thought the Megrahi may have fled his home as the Gaddafi regime crumbled. Scottish authorities said several days ago that they had lost contact with Megrahi during the
Earlier, Libya's new justice minister announced that Megrahi would not face a retrial or be forced to leave Libya.
Mohammed al-Alagi said the National Transitional Council was not prepared to hand him over. It was Gaddafi who handed over Libyan citizens," he said, referring to the ousted dictator's decision to turn Megrahi over to a Scottish court for trial.
The Scottish Government released Megrahi in 2009 on compassionate grounds after medical advice that he was three months from death.
Last week, New York senator Charles Schumer urged the new Libyan leadership to hold Megrahi accountable. Lockerbie bomber Abdelbaset al-Megrahi has left Tripoli amidst the ongoing civil war in Libya, probably evacuated by Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi, just as the UK government said he might be wanted again.
The former Lybian intelligence officer, Abdelbaset Ali Mohmed Al Megrahi, sentenced as the perpetrator of the 1988 Lockerbie Bombing, has thus captured again global media attention two years after he was released from a Scottish prison on August 20, 2009.
Megrahi's neighbor, Dr Hussein Barba, said: "This man knows too many things. Speaking late Thursday night, British Foreign Secretary William Hague promised "energetic support" to the Scottish government if they try to bring the Lockerbie bomber back from Libya.
Hague told the BBC he had disapproved of the decision to release Megrahi at the time.
Megrahi was technically released on compassionate grounds in 2009 when it was claimed he only had three months to live. Ultimately, convicted bomber Abdelbeset Ali Mohmed al Megrahi was released on compassionate grounds because he is dying of cancer, a decision that Scottish, British and Libyan officials have said was not linked to oil or trade. Al Megrahi has terminal prostate cancer.